Croydon restaurant fined for poor hygiene

Posted on News May 2012 - by Tandoori Editor
Croydon restaurant fined for poor hygiene


An Indian restaurant near Croydon was shut down and ordered to pay fines totalling more than £5,000 when food safety inspectors discovered a catalogue of food and hygiene violations.

The New Tandoor, in Norbury, was visited food safety officers in March 2011, having received a complaint from a customer regarding food poisoning. They discovered raw meat being stored above and next to prepared food in fridges – of which neither type was labelled or covered. Food was found to be stored at incorrect temperatures.

There was a general poor level of cleanliness with grease and grime on all kitchen surfaces and equipment. Cleaning cloths were dirty and encrusted with hand washing sinks lacking soaps and looking generally unused.

Even though Mohammed Shafique, the restaurants food business operator, offered to close the premises for cleaning, subsequent visits by officers found little change. Croydon Magistrates fined the business £2,000 and imposed costs of £3,370.

Councillor Simon Hoar, cabinet member for community safety, said: “The conditions found in this establishment were appalling and show how bad things can get without a proper food-management system in place.

Despite repeated visits and advice from our food safety officers, the restaurant’s managers failed both to have the premises cleaned to a satisfactory standard, and to keep a close check on food storage and stock control.

“It’s to be hoped that this company, and others in the catering business in Croydon, take heed of this prosecution and do all they can to maintain high food-hygiene standards.”


So far it has 1970 views
Tandoori Magazine Home of Indian Food

There are no comments on this article.

Comment on this Article

You must be registered and logged to be able to comment on this article.

To create an accout Register here

Auto-login on future visits Show my name in the online users list Forgot your password?